Author Topic: How do you use Trehalose?  (Read 72416 times)

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Introducing a New Culinary Science
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
Three Unique Trehalose Flavor Enhancers

This unique gift of 3 different shakers filled with T/C+, Trehalose Granular and Confectionery Trehalose.  The functional food blend (called T/C+) consists of Ceylon cinnamon, the sugar trehalose, and bio-available ionic multi-trace minerals in phytonutrient form with pleasant flavor. T/C+ can be used anytime you would normally add cinnamon to flavor your foods or beverages.

Confectionery Trehalose and Trehalose Granular Flavor Enhancer compliment all foods in every nationality. Improve the flavor of appetizers, soups, sauces, meats, poultry, fish, vegetables, charcuterie, entrees, breads, pastries, desserts and hot and cold drinks.

Read additional information and instructions at www.endowmentmed.org

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
This is a PREVIEW of things to come: How to use Trehalose.
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Improve ALL your recipes with Trehalose            – Video Recipe Series Lesson #1
Receive a complimentary pound of trehalose with your subscription to our Recipe Video Series

Recipe Video Transcript by JC Spencer

On a recent road trip through the Ozarks, my wife and I purchased a copy of Better Homes and Gardens New Canning and Cook Book.  I realized that the flavor and health benefits of every recipe in the book could be improved with trehalose.

Less table sugar and more trehalose is better for you.  Studies indicate that six tablespoons of trehalose per day improve brain function, resulting in better mental and motor skills.

A pinch of trehalose is a flavor enhancer.  Unlike MSG there are benefits instead of side effects.

Do your own taste test to determine the best blend to please your palate.  Replace table sugar with trehalose when you can.  Vary the ratio of other recipes by replacing half the table sugar. In a recipe requiring 4 cups of sugar use 2 cups of trehalose.  This improves the quality and health benefits and reduces sweetness by 25%.  Less sweetness is a good thing and you may find your sugar crave  diminishing.  Trehalose does that.

Canning with trehalose?  Of course you can!  Experiment with a little before you can a truckload.

Share your favorite recipe with us, be it healthful candies, sauces, soups, pastries, main course dishes or drinks.  I will feature these in future video lessons.

Never used trehalose?  We have arranged for you to receive a complimentary pound sample (for a limited time).  Request your free pound at  www.SmartSugars.com.

Subscribe to the video series for only $5 per month.  Receive 52 brief videos per year and a complimentary pound of trehalose for registering today.  We pay the shipping.

©  The Endowment for Medical Research, Inc.
http://endowmentmed.org
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:47:11 PM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
How do you use Trehalose?
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 01:54:51 AM »
In preparing for the International T/C+ Pilot Survey, I wanted to discover some of the best ways for eating one to two Tablespoon of T/C+ per day.  While a number of suggestions are posted in this section, my favorite (hereby posted) is to blend T/C+ into a small bowl of apple sauce.  It gives it a wonderful taste a little milder than apple butter.  You may not want it every day but I really like it.  Best, of course, when you use organic apple sauce.  Stay away from the apple sauce that has high fruitose corn syrup (HFCS) or other harmful sweeteners.  With T/C+ apple sauce, you get your apple a day plus ingredients that are proven to be some of most healthful foods you can eat.  Let me know any health improvements you have.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:37:59 AM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
One of our readers told me that he had been putting the sugar trehalose on his strawberries and trehalose makes them taste even better.  We know that strawberries have a short shelf life and in only a few days will start to spoil.  Here is the bottom line: Wash the strawberries and while wet, roll them in trehalose or sprinkle a heavy coating over them and they will remain fresh for about a week longer.  Try this suggestion and let us know.  This will work with other fruit also.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:34:55 AM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
More T/C Recipes - Trehalose/Cinnamon+
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »
We are starting a Pilot Survey on June 1, 2011 using T/C+ which is a blend of Ceylon cinnamon with trehalose and bio-available ionic multi-trace minerals.  This opens the door for many new recipes designed for better health.

The Pilot Survey is designed for the participant to enjoy.  You can read the details on our main website http://endowmentmed.org but here are a few ideas:

Enjoy T/C+ on toast and on your cereal.  Enrich apple butter or apple sauce by stirring T/C+ into it.  T/C+ improves oatmeal, cream of wheat, Malt-O-Meal, and other hot cereals.  Sprinkle it on your ice cream or whipping cream.  Sprinkle it on your pancakes and waffles.  Sprinkle on your salad.  Fruit pies baked with T/C+ instead of regular sugar makes for the best mouth watering home made pie you ever ate.  Or, take any ready-made apple pie and sprinkle lots of T/C+ on top.  Add to pears, rhubarb, puddings, and custards.  Add to your hot chocolate or in your coffee.  Be creative and share your recipes with us.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:59:49 PM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
T/C Recipe - Trehalose/Cinnamon
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
My wife and I just enjoyed a delightful slice of wholewheat toast, buttered and sprinkled with T/C.  One half teaspoon cinnamon mixed with one teaspoon trehalose was just right.  You may wish to blend differently.  Some will want two teaspoons of trehalose with a half teaspoon cinnamon.  Enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee.  Stay tuned for more information about the health benefits of Trehalose/Cinnamon blend.

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Use Trehalose to Improve Hamburgers
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »
Apply 1½ teaspoons of trehalose per pound of hamburger meat.  Simple blend the trehalose directly into the meat.  This will help if you are going to eat the hamburger today or plan to freeze patties for later.  Use the trehalose before freezing the beef to eliminate the freezer flavor.  This makes a great hamburger even better.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:50:46 PM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
The Sugar Trehalose is Replacement for MSG
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »
The Sugar Trehalose is a Healthful Replacement for MSG

Comments by J. C. Spencer

A small amount of the sugar trehalose can be used to enhance the flavor of foods in a healthful way.  MSG is widely used to make foods more flavorful but MSG has serious side effects including possible inflammation, obesity, diabetes, autoimmune diseases and liver disease.  MSG can induce neuronal death.  MSG may have contributed more damage to neurodegenerative diseases that we previously thought.  But now, a pinch of trehalose is not only a fabulous replacement for MSG but appears to be one of the best brain foods available.

Here are three Abstracts from recently published papers on monosodium glutamate (MSG).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -- - - - -

Int J Dev Neurosci. 2008 Aug;26(5):487-95. Epub 2008 Mar 4.

Role of p38 MAPK and pro-inflammatory cytokines expression in glutamate-induced neuronal death of neonatal rats.
Chaparro-Huerta V, Flores-Soto ME, Gudiño-Cabrera G, Rivera-Cervantes MC, Bitzer-Quintero OK, Beas-Zárate C.

Laboratorio de Neurobiología Molecular, División de Neurociencias, Centro de Investigación Biomédica de Occidente (CIBO), Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social (IMSS), Guadalajara, Mexico.

Pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF-alpha, IL-1beta and IL-6 rises significantly during neuronal damage and activate the signaling p38 MAPK pathway, which is involved in the apoptotic (AP) neuronal death. Systemic administration of glutamate as monosodium salt (MSG) to newborn animals induces neuronal death, however whether neurons die by AP or necrosis through MAPK p38 pathway activation it is unknown. In this study, TNF-alpha, IL-1beta and IL-6 expression levels, AP neuronal death and cellular type that produces TNF-alpha was also identified in the cerebral cortex (CC) and striatum (St) of rats at 8, 10, and 14 days of age after neonatal exposure to MSG. TNF-alpha production and AP neuronal death was significantly increased in the CC at PD8-10, and in the St in all ages studied by excitotoxicity effect induced with MSG. This effect was completely inhibited by SB203580 (p38 inhibitor) in both regions studied. TNF-alpha, IL-1beta and IL-6 RNAm increased after MSG administration, whereas SB203580 did not modify their expression. These data indicates that neuronal death induced by excitotoxicity appears to be mediated through p38 signaling pathway activated by TNF-alpha and their inhibition may have an important neuroprotective role as part of anti-inflammatory therapeutic strategy.

- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2007 Jul-Sep;51(3):216-34.

Understanding safety of glutamate in food and brain.
Mallick HN.

Department of Physiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.

Glutamate is ubiquitous in nature and is present in all living organisms. It is the principal excitatory neurotransmitter in central nervous system. Glutamate is being used as food additive for enhancing flavour for over last 1200 years imparting a unique taste known as "umami" in Japanese. It is being marketed for about last 100 years. The taste of umami is now recognized as the fifth basic taste. Many of the foods used in cooking for enhancing flavour contain high amount of glutamate. Breast milk has the highest concentration of glutamate amongst all amino acids. Glutamate in high doses as gavage or parenteral injection have been reported to produce neurodegeneration in infant rodents. The neurodegeneration was not produced when gluamate was given with food. The Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives, based on enumerable scientific evidence, has declared that, "glutamate as an additive in food" is not an health hazard to human being. Glutamate is used as signaling molecule not only in neuronal but also in non-neuronal tissues. Excessive accumulation of glutamate in the synaptic cleft has been associated with excitotoxicty and glutamate is implicated in number of neurological disorders. Excessive accumulation could be attributed to increase release, failure of transport system for uptake mechanism, neuronal injury due to hypoxia-ischemia, trauma and associated metabolic failures. The role blood brain barrier, vesicular glutamate and sodium dependent excitatory amino acid transporters in glutamate homeostasis are emphasized in the review.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

J Autoimmun. 2008 Feb-Mar;30(1-2):42-50.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG): a villain and promoter of liver inflammation and dysplasia.
Nakanishi Y, Tsuneyama K, Fujimoto M, Salunga TL, Nomoto K, An JL, Takano Y, Iizuka S, Nagata M, Suzuki W, Shimada T, Aburada M, Nakano M, Selmi C, Gershwin ME.
Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine and
Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan.

Chronic inflammation is a common theme in a variety of disease pathways, including autoimmune diseases. The pathways of chronic inflammation are well illustrated by nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), which is of a serious concern due to its increasing prevalence in the westernized world and its direct correlation with lifestyle factors, particularly diet. Importantly, NASH may ultimately lead to the development of hepatocellular carcinoma. We previously reported that injection of monosodium glutamate (MSG) in ICR mice leads to the development of significant inflammation, central obesity, and type 2 diabetes. To directly address the long-term consequences of MSG on inflammation, we have performed serial analysis of MSG-injected mice and focused in particular on liver pathology. By 6 and 12 months of age, all MSG-treated mice developed NAFLD and NASH-like histology, respectively. In particular, the murine steatohepatitis at 12 months was virtually undistinguishable from human NASH. Further, dysplastic nodular lesions were detected in some cases within the fibrotic liver parenchyma. We submit that MSG treatment of mice induces obesity and diabetes with steatosis and steatohepatitis resembling human NAFLD and NASH with pre-neoplastic lesions. These results take on considerable significance in light of the widespread usage of dietary MSG and we suggest that MSG should have its safety profile re-examined and be potentially withdrawn from the food chain.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:09:32 PM by JC Spencer »

MimiR

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 01:34:55 PM »
HOMEMADE CRACKERS MADE WITH SUNNIES AND TREHALOSE

2 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour (preferably stoneground organic)
1 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds "Sunnies", measured then ground to fine meal in a food
        processor or blender (organic preferred)
3 Tbsp. Trehalose
1 1/4 tsp. soda
1 tsp. sea salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup oil (I use Extra Virgin olive oil, but several oils are approved)

Directions:

Note: The secret is in the rolling. I use a tea towel (not terry cloth) wrapped around a large cutting board which holds the ends of the towel in place.  Flour rolling surface well (the rolling pin too) before…and during...the rolling. [I usually use the finer-textured whole wheat pastry flour for rolling out the dough.]

Mix ingredients. Knead dough slightly. Take a little less than a quarter of the dough and roll—with a rolling pin—into a rectangle roughly 9x12 inches.
Transfer to a cookie sheet (not a jelly roll pan which has 1" sides) by lightly roll the dough around the rolling pin for transport. Continue rolling on cookie sheet, rolling the dough to the very edges, making the crackers 1/8 inch thickness or less. The thinner, the better (thinner means crisper).

Make sure thickness is uniform. Trim excess from edges of cookie sheet with a sharp knife.
[Any trimmed dough can be re-rolled when all the scraps are collected.] Cut into cracker-size squares (e.g. 1 3/4 inches square) with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.

Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Remove to cooling rack.

Notes:
Crackers can be frozen. 
Fills approximately five 12" x 15" cookie sheets. Yes, a large amount! [How about making half a recipe and freezing leftover yogurt?]
Broken and/or irregular pieces can be cut up and used as croutons in salad.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:43:41 PM by JC Spencer »

MimiR

Sweet Potato Casserole Made With Trehalose
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 10:24:31 PM »
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE MADE WITH TREHALOSE

2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed  (5 or 6 medium-size sweet potatoes)
1/4 cup Trehalose
1 1/2 Tbsp. melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 + 1/8 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 Tbsp. lowfat milk

Topping: 2 Tbsp. finely chopped pecans

Directions:

Wash and dry sweet potatoes and bake in oven (or toaster oven) at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes until cooked through (test with a fork).

Remove peel.  Mash (okay to use a food processor) and add all ingredients except pecans.

Transfer to an oiled or buttered 9-inch glass pie plate.  Sprinkle with chopped pecans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes until nicely browned. 

Serve warm or cold.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:37:44 PM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Answer to Trehalose question
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 07:31:31 PM »
We hope to be able to make the healthful sugar trehalose available in small packets you can carry with you. I cannot give you a date right now when they will be available. That project will require a few thousand dollars to start.

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Worthy question I had.
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »
Is there any plans to put the trehalose in small packages like the sweetener packs?  This would sure be helpful for us diabetics who would like to sweeten our coffee or tea when we are out.  The Xylitol is now in small pkg, but I like the trehalose.  Now I put it in a small plastic cup to take with  me.

PChampion

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 10:25:19 PM »
It has been a while since I have posted anything but I just had to let everyone know that I am trying new recipes so I can use less sugar and in its place I am using Trehalose.

We absolutely loved these cookies:

TreHealthy Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
2 cups oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups Trehalose
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
Mix all dry ingredients together

3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Beat together into dry ingredients until blended; add
1-5 oz pack dried cherries
4 oz Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips
3/4 cups nuts
Mix well and drop by teaspoons onto Pamed cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees about 8 minutes.

Join the Champion family in our Heart TreHealthy Oatmeal Cookies!! They taste great!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:34:49 AM by JC Spencer »

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
It is called CULINARY MEDICINE, now just add trehalose
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »
Comments by J. C. Spencer
The art of cooking for your health is called CULINARY MEDICINE by the U.S.NEWS and World Report.  Here is how they address diabetes in the kitchen.  Add to this plan by throwing your sugar bowl away.  Better yet, replace it with a bowl of the sugar trehalose.  According to this article you have the possibility for improving or reversing diabetes.  Here is a part of that article.

Turn Your Kitchen Into a Clinic
By Lindsay Lyon
May 20, 2008

John La Puma is a doctor, a chef, and a big believer in "culinary medicine," which holds that the art of cooking can be scientifically applied to fight disease.  La Puma, who taught the first cooking and nutrition course for medical students in the country at SUNY Upstate Medical University-Syracuse, explains in a new book written with Rebecca Powell Marx, ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine: A Food Lover's Road Map to Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Getting Really Healthy, how everyone can add "medicine chests" to their kitchen pantries. He spoke with U.S. News about the book, in which he offers foods to eat for 40 conditions, plus 50 easy recipes to try. Edited excerpts:

Diabetes. Probably the most important foods for diabetics are anything containing bran, because bran effectively and almost immediately lowers blood sugar. Same with foods that are high in magnesium like barley, almonds, and buckwheat. And anyone who lives in the Southwest or Latin America will be familiar with "nopal," the prickly pear cactus. It's a green vegetable that's a little crunchy, sometimes found in bottles, and a little slimy. Amazingly, there was a study in the Archives of Internal Medicine in which type 2 diabetics were fed chilaquiles (a Mexican breakfast dish) with nopales, and it had a dramatic and direct effect on lowering blood sugar.

http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/living-well-usn/2008/05/20/turn-your-kitchen-into-a-clinic.html

Offline JC Spencer

• Administrator
Trehalose combats sugar addiction more reports show
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 12:57:33 AM »
Sugar addiction is a growing problem in America.  Regular sugar, like a drug, causes the human body to keep wanting more sweets.  Many people are addicted to sugar.  It is rather surprising that a healthful sugar actually causes a person to want less sweets.  I have personally experienced not desiring as many sweets after using trehalose for a few months.  The refregerator no longer crys out for me to come get ice cream everytime I pass by it.  Some overweight individuals are losing pounds by eating the health sugar trehalose.  Some diabetics who have had a problem with sugars for years are having less sugar spikes.  Everyone is unique and may respond differently but many people are having health challenges improve by putting a few spoons of trehalose on their cereal.  Just to stop eating so much table sugar can help a person improve his or her health. But to replace a harmful sugar with a healthful sugar is a great idea.  Trehalose is not a sugar substitute, trehalose is a real beneficial sugar.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:37:38 AM by JC Spencer »